August 2019

Join the Upper Keys BPW at our monthly meetings, the 3rd Wednesday of every month. 

BPW Connection | August 2019


The August meeting is an evening event.  This one is a little different and includes a tour of the History of Diving Museum plus a special presentation from their Immerse Yourself Series.


***Please note the speaker & subject of the Immerse Yourself
Presentation have changed, details below!***


Ilja Chapman, President
Dear Upper Keys BPW Members:
With August burning up our last vacation days, I look back wondering what happened to summer. Did you have a chance to take a break? It is so important to recharge your batteries and get a fresh view on life. Just know that it is never too late for a last-minute trip and it doesn’t hurt to use me as a sound board for ideas. 
This summer, the Upper Keys BPW Board of Directors did not sit still. Have you seen the video of Jackie Harder asking for your help? Have you seen the articles in the local newspapers mentioning the Upper Keys BPW? We are preparing for many events and activities to take place in October celebrating local women in business. You can line up your own event and use the Upper Keys BPW platform to highlight your business and help our cause by fundraising for the Upper Keys BPW scholarship fund. 
100 Years Strong and together we are even stronger. 
I will keep repeating myself until we have reached our goal. I dare you! Help us spread the word about Upper Keys BPW, bring a friend to our monthly meetings and ask if they want to join as a member. Our goal is 100 members by October. You can make a difference.
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams” – Eleanor Roosevelt
On that note, I look forward to seeing you at the History of Diving Museum this week and I hope you will take advantage of the October opportunities out there. The Upper Keys BPW is here to support you. 
Ilja Chapman
UKBPW President 2018-19
Tel: 305-998-8348


Special thanks to our FIVE Sponsors for the August Evening Event!





Paula's Skin Care, Paula Farr Esthetician 

bpw|CALENDAR
August 21: Evening Networking Event. History of Diving Museum, 82990 O/S Hwy, Islamorada. $20. Includes light munchies, wine/bubbly and a tour of the museum from 5-7 PM, and then a special presentation starting at 7:00 PM.  CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

September 16: Celebrate Constitution Day! Murray Nelson Govt. Center, 102050 O/S Hwy, Key Largo. Presented with Upper Keys League of Woman Voters. Featuring U.S. Representative Debbie Mucarsel-Powell. 6:00-9:00 PM. CLICK HERE TO RSVP.

September 18: Luncheon. 11:00A-1:00 P. Holiday Inn-African Queen Room, Key Largo. This is a special "Work the Network" luncheon, part of our Mentor/Mentee Program, back by popular demand! Please be punctual. We will start eating at 11:30, and start the program promptly at 11:45. Sponsorship opportunity Available! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

October 4: Sunset Cruise with Ilja!  Hosted by your local travel adviser, Ilja Chapman, on board the Key Largo Princess. Free appetizers and cash bar. $25 per person ($5 of each ticket goes to BPW Adult Scholarship Fund.)

October 16: Sip & Shop at Anthony's Ladies Apparel Key Largo! Proceeds benefit our Adult Scholarship Program.  Shopping, raffles, food, wine and fun!  More information coming soon. 98200 O/S Hwy, Key largo.

October 18: First Anniversary Party at Cirque Salon Studios of Key Largo!  Join us as we celebrate one year in business with Cirque Salon, learn more about our Membership Drive, sign up for the Bra Walk and more! 101401 O/S Hwy, Key Largo (Publix Plaza, upstairs.) Stay tuned for more information.

October 20: Key Largo Bridge Bra Walk!  American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Key Largo, starting at Gilbert's Resort. 107900 O/S Hwy, Key Largo. 8:00 AM. Join the UKBPW Team and walk with us! CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR TEAM.

October 26*: Evening Event. 6:30 PM-8:30 PM. Stay tuned for more info on this grand celebration event we are planning for the Woman & Business of the Year Awards, adding a new element-Woman of Distinction! Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort, 103800 O/S Hwy, Key largo. Sponsorship Opportunities Available. (*NOTE this is a Saturday, not a 3rd Wednesday event.)

The Upper Keys BPW meets once a month, on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We alternate between luncheons and evening networking events, and would love for you to join us! See our full event schedule and register for an upcoming event.


MAKE PLANS NOW TO CELEBRATE WITH THE UPPER KEYS BPW!
The Month of October will be full of events!  Our "official" monthly event will be on Saturday, October 26th and will be a Grand Celebration! More to come!
However, some members and other women owned businesses in the community will be hosting events all through the month in honor of Women's Small Business Month.  
Our contribution to your event would be free promotional opportunities through our FB page (nearly 900 followers), monthly newsletter and free e-blasts (close to 500 contacts.) We would add your event to our calendar of events.
Some of our Board Members will also attend and assist you with running the event.  We do ask that you make it a fundraiser for our Adult Scholarship Fund: charge admission, hold raffles, auctions, sell your products, get creative!
Confirmed events are already on the calendar, but keep an eye out as more will be added every day!
Contact us if you are interested in hosting an October Event!  bpwupperkeys@gmail.com



Sponsor an Event!
If you are interested in sponsoring one or more Upper Keys BPW events in the next fiscal year, we would love to have your support!  We offer amenities for your sponsorship that help promote your business to our membership and the local community.  Ask about the advantages of committing to sponsor multiple events and the increased amenities you'll receive!

SPONSOR AN UPPER KEYS BPW EVENT!
The cost to sponsor an event is $250.
With the sponsorship you receive the following benefits and opportunities:
  • Logo/branding:
    • Event E-vite emailed three times to a database of 500 people
    • Monthly BPW member Newsletter emailed a few days prior to event
    • Mention at Upper Keys BPW social media
  • One Free dedicated business E-Blast to our membership with a message your business likes to share
  • Display table and/or hand outs to all attendees
  • Banner display at the luncheon
  • Two FREE entrees to the luncheon
  • 5 minute speaking time at the luncheon directed to all attendees


 
   bpw|member SPOTLIGHT

Meet Gina Boilini
Hi everyone!
Born and raised in Key Largo, I attended Coral Shores High School and was class President my senior year, Class of 2000.  The summer after graduation, I began college at Florida State University and earned a degree in Recreation and Leisure Services Administration with an emphasis in Sports and Entertainment.  I know what you are all thinking...”what do you do with that degree?!”   In fact, I often just tell people I graduated with a Business Degree, to limit all the questions! In a nutshell, I learned about creating, designing and managing parks and large venues.  My dream was to work for a large sports team or large event venue.  My internship was with the City of Jacksonville Sports and Entertainment Board the year Jacksonville hosted the Super Bowl.  I had a great time, but I quickly learned I missed my home and family. 
I returned back home to Key Largo and almost immediately my girlfriends got me involved with BPW.  I joined the organization in 2009.  I became Secretary in 2010 and was honored to be the organization’s President from 2011-2016.  During this time, I was awarded Women of the Year in 2011 and 2014. 
Today I am the owner and manager of Doc’s Diner in Key Largo.  We are a family restaurant open 7 days a week from 6 am to 2 pm daily; serving breakfast all day.  We are only closed on Christmas.  Running a restaurant has its challenges, but I love it!  I was successful at managing the family business and my parents brought me in as a partner six years ago.  That same year, the Diner was honored with BPW Business of the Year!  The plaque is on the wall, I am proud of that! 
In 2016, I took a break from BPW.  I was ready to have kids with Frank, my best friend and love of my life. We were blessed to have two boys: Frank II who is 3 and James who is 22 months. I am thankful every day for my two boys and that I am their momma!
I absolutely love being a mom and being involved with our local community.  Balancing home life, work life, and community involvement can be a challenge, but my secret is dedication to a schedule.  This includes waking my boys up every morning with my signature wake-up song, and making my boys breakfast.  I value the time we share with our kids and family. It is true quality time, making memories together as a family.  When we are home, you will find us teaching the boys to swim, on a bike ride, boat ride, playing outside, or watching a movie. 
Recently I have started to get involved with BPW again.  It started with the BPW Scholarship Committee, where for the last two years, I have been a part of helping women of our community to achieve more academically and to be strong role models for the current and next generation of working women.  This year (2019/2020), I am the Scholarship Chair, and I encourage you to apply if you are ready to expand your education and empower women. The scholarship application cycle is open now until August 15th.

I have also been involved in the Political Forum Committee since 2012, and was the Chair of last year’s event.  We brought candidates from all sides to educate our members and other voters in the community so that they feel confident casting their vote on Election Day. Right now I’m the Upper Keys BPW Public Policy Chair, and a member of the BPW Florida Public Policy Committee, monitoring the issues and policies that affect the lives of working women, and standing by BPW’s bipartisan values. 
At this year’s 2019 BPW State Conference I was elected to the BPW Education Foundation Board of Directors, as Secretary.  I am very excited, to be a part of BPW on the State level.  Being on the BPW Education Foundation Board, I look forward to expanding my knowledge of BPW, and bring that knowledge to our Local Organization. 
I am proud to be involved with BPW.  I truly believe together we are a positive voice for working women. For me, I have been able to balance my family, a successful business, and my community involvement with the support of other working moms and business owners, many who are members of BPW.  If you aren’t a member, what are you doing? JOIN!!  And if you are a member, join a committee! For example, as an Upper Keys BPW Public Policy committee member, you could be a part of a National movement to make a difference in the lives of working women as we work together to create the changes needed for equitable work environments and supportive communities.  Let’s educate and raise awareness together!

No comments:

Post a Comment