January 2019

BPW Connection | January 2019


Join us for the January luncheon and kick off the new year with your Business and Professional Women's Club! 

We are excited about speaker Douglas Brewer!  He will be the trainer in February & March for the Professional Development series, which you'll learn more about below!  
Special thanks to Dennis Ward for sponsoring this month's event.
The featured charity is the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life of the Florida Keys. 
Ilja Chapman, President
Fill your Pages with Beauty!


“The new year is like a blank book. The pen is in your hands - it is your chance to write a beautiful story for yourself.”
I received this inspirational quote on a card from a friend and I think it is the perfect tip to start 2019!
Upper Keys BPW can help you start writing your story. In the new year, the Upper Keys BPW will continue to focus on you, the member. Thank you for those who completed the poll expressing your expectations. It helps the board members to stay on track and realize the goals important to you.
It is also the responsibility of the board members to be financially responsible and unfortunately we have to raise our luncheon price as the cost has increased. As of Jan. 19, 2019, all members will pay online $25 and $30 at the door. Guests will pay $30 equally online and at the door. It has been a tough decision and we appreciate your understanding.
The good news is that we are kicking off the Professional Development Series with our luncheon this month. Doug Brewer, Ocean Reef Club’s training manager, will talk about the importance of being a great listener. I hope you will join us and, of course any feedback and suggestions are welcome.
The board has voted at its last meeting to adjust the fiscal year for the Upper Keys BPW to coincide with the same year as the BPW Florida. That means that the slate for the Board of Directors for 2019-20 will be presented in May and the installation of the new board will be June 2019. If you have any questions regarding the board of the Upper Keys BPW, how to become a part of it or want to join one of our monthly meetings, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any board member.
I look forward to seeing you all Wednesday and I wish all of you a healthy, happy and successful New Year and we hope the Upper Keys BPW can contribute to it. I can’t wait to see where 2019 takes us.
Ilja Chapman
UKBPW President 2018/2019


PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SERIES
SPRING 2019
Upper Keys BPW is committed to providing professional development opportunities for our members by creating new and exciting workshops, presentations and programs. We encourage our members to participate and take advantage of the wealth of experience and knowledge both inside our organization and within the community.
Our first program, presented by Ocean Reef Club Training Manager Doug Brewer isListen Up: How to Speak Last (during luncheon Jan. 16).
Other programs include Understanding Generations (Feb. 2) and The Power of You:Creating Your Personal Brand.  (March 16).
Doug has been an educator, speaker, presenter, and trainer for the past decade. Audiences have praised him for his ability to engage and empower efficiently through storytelling and inspired group discussion.
In a past life, Doug was a Chinese rapper who performed entirely in Mandarin and toured through Beijing. Currently, his obsessions include chess, JDao, and his beautiful wife.
All sessions will be two hours at a fee of $25 for members and $40 for non-members. We need a minimum of 10 enthusiastic participants.We encourage all our members to participate – and bring a friend!
Part of the cost of these workshops are covered by the money raised during our luncheon. Take advantage of this membership opportunity; start writing your 2019 stories by developing yourself professionally and personally. A sign-up sheet will be available online.
For further information, call Ilja Chapman at (305) 998-8348 or Jackie Harder (305) 451-9295.

bpw|CALENDAR

January 16: Luncheon. 11:15-1:00. Holiday Inn-African Queen Room, Key Largo. Speaker Douglas Brewer. Sponsor Dennis Ward State Attorney.

February 20: Evening Networking Event. 5:30-7:30 PM. Sponsorship Opportunities Available.

March 20: Luncheon. 11:15-1:00. Holiday Inn-African Queen Room, Key Largo. Sponsor First State Bank.


The Upper Keys BPW meets once a month, on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We alternate between luncheons and evening networking events, and would love for you to join us! Click the button to see our full event schedule and register for an upcoming event. 

JOIN US IN THANKING THE SPONSOR OF THE JANUARY LUNCHEON: 
SPONSOR AN UPPER KEYS BPW EVENT!
The cost to sponsor an event is $250.
With the sponsorship you receive the following benefits and opportunities:
  • Logo/branding:
    • Event E-vite emailed three times to a database of 500 people
    • Monthly BPW member Newsletter emailed a few days prior to event
    • Mention at Upper Keys BPW social media
  • One Free dedicated business E-Blast to our membership with a message your business likes to share
  • Display table and/or hand outs to all attendees
  • Banner display at the luncheon
  • Two FREE entrees to the luncheon
  • 5 minute speaking time at the luncheon directed to all attendees


 
   bpw|member SPOTLIGHT

Meet Allison Fisher
I remember when I was a kid, in the backseat of my parents car, still too young to know what direction we were headed, I somehow made this connection that the sky looked clearer as we got ‘closer to the water’ (east). 
Of course, on Sundays, my Dad (as most Dads’ do) would insist on “going for a ride”! And as for most kids (that survived childhood without apple devices) this meant being locked up in the car with your family, destination unclear (possibly even to the driver)... for the entire day! But lucky me, when I saw the sky turn clear blue and cloudless , I knew that we were heading to the Keys.
It’s important that you know that back story, because I was almost 10 when I decided that I would one day live in the Keys and/or Key West. For my 10th Birthday I requested my ‘birthday dinner’ in Key West. And it became a bit of a ritual, celebrating my ‘milestones’ (16th, 21st, 30th, and 40th) somewhere on Duval!
Born and raised in the Kendall area, graduated from Miami Killian Senior High, and earned my AA from MDCC. Because my mom worked and retired with Eastern Airlines I was fortunate to travel throughout the U.S. as a child. In 1995 I met my best friend and husband Andrew, and we were married in 1999. 
In October 96’ I earned a Real Estate salesperson license, working for brokers in Pine Crest and Miami Beach. While working in real estate, Andrew and I started a landscape Design company and have worked on various commercial and residential designs projects throughout Broward, Dade and Monrone. 
 After living in Homestead in for almost 8 years and spending most of our weekends in the Keys, I declared, on my 40th Birthday trip to Key West, that We would move to the Keys that year. And in July of 2015 we moved into our Key Largo home! 
In August of 2015, I joined Froggy's Fitness in Tavernier, where I teach a spin class at 8am on M/W/F. I have a true passion for cycling indoor and outdoor, as well as a passion to help people push themselves to achieve their physical and mental goals. In 2014, after being inactive, and sitting most of my day in a office for almost a decade, I finally committed to some big lifestyle changes and lost 50lbs. So I guess it’s a bit of a personal passion. 
Last year I joined the BPW because I wanted to know and connect with the women leading my community. I will be grateful to learn from you all and hope to encourage and inspire you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment