March 2019

Join the Upper Keys BPW at our monthly meetings, the 3rd Wednesday of every month. 

BPW Connection | March 2019


The March Luncheon will be at the Holiday Inn, Key Largo on March 20.

We are doing something a little different this month. It's a limited, working lunch. Please note that the check in and start times are also different this month. 



Thank you to this month's Sponsor:
Ilja Chapman, President
Spring greetings, Upper Keys BPW members and friends.
Spring is my favorite time of the year; it just feels like a fresh start. I am looking forward to new challenges and opportunities. Do you like the satisfying feeling after a big spring clean? Must be a Dutch thing!
This month’s luncheon will be a novelty as it will be “not your mother’s kind of networking.”
For this luncheon we have created a great opportunity for you to meet your fellow community members in more depth and maybe learn about them in a way you never knew. You might even find a possible mentor or mentee who can benefit from your professional or personal development in life. I hope you’ve registered and will be joining us!
Remember -- we start at 11:30 a.m. sharp. Check in opens at 11 a.m.
Did you hear the great feedback from those attending the Professional Development Series by Douglas Brewer last Saturday? We like to hear from you - what topic would you like to see covered for the next series?
Spring is also the time of year we are accepting scholarship applications for adult women who want to continue their education. The deadline to submit the application has been extended to April 15, 2019, and we will be celebrating scholarship recipients of both the Upper Keys BPW and The Holly Given Memorial Scholarships during the May luncheon.
Next month, we meet again in the evening for a networking event, Wednesday April 17. We invite you to sponsor this event for $250; or, if you are interested but want to share the cost of the sponsorship with another Upper Keys BPW member, please reach out to me.
Thank you all so much for being part of this wonderful organization. I look forward to getting to know you even better this spring.
Ilja Chapman
UKBPW President 2018-19
Tel: 305-998-8348


Some moments from the Professional Development Series with Douglas Brewer.  Stay tuned for more opportunities like this to network and grow together.
   

bpw|CALENDAR

March 20: Luncheon. 11:15 A-1:00 P. Holiday Inn-African Queen Room, Key Largo. Sponsor First State Bank. This is a special "Speed Networking" luncheon, part of our Mentor/Mentee Program. Please be punctual. We will start eating at 11:30, and start the program at 11:45.
April 17: Evening Networking Event. Sponsorship Opportunities Available.
May 15: Luncheon. 11:30A-1:00 P. Holiday Inn-African Queen Room, Key Largo. Annual Membership Meeting and Celebrate Scholarship Recipients. Sponsorship Opportunities Available.
June 19: Evening Networking Event and Board Induction Ceremony. Sponsorship Opportunities Available.

The Upper Keys BPW meets once a month, on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We alternate between luncheons and evening networking events, and would love for you to join us! Click the button to see our full event schedule and register for an upcoming event. 


2019 State Conference

Mark your calendars!

BPW/FL State Conference
June 27-30, 2019. 
All Members Are Invited!
Call Ilja Chapman at
305-998-8348 ASAP! 
SPONSOR AN UPPER KEYS BPW EVENT!
The cost to sponsor an event is $250.
With the sponsorship you receive the following benefits and opportunities:
  • Logo/branding:
    • Event E-vite emailed three times to a database of 500 people
    • Monthly BPW member Newsletter emailed a few days prior to event
    • Mention at Upper Keys BPW social media
  • One Free dedicated business E-Blast to our membership with a message your business likes to share
  • Display table and/or hand outs to all attendees
  • Banner display at the luncheon
  • Two FREE entrees to the luncheon
  • 5 minute speaking time at the luncheon directed to all attendees


 
   bpw|member SPOTLIGHT

Meet Trisha Woods 
After years of dreading snow and cold weather while growing up in Connecticut, Tampa, Florida became my home.  I earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education at the University of Tampa and began working in the Hillsborough County Public School system.  

For three years, I served on the School Leadership Network team learning ways to improve the culture of the school, to grow our teachers into leaders, and to increase student achievement.  Through this process, I was encouraged to earn my Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership. As a single mom, I was nervous about the time and commitment involved. Little did I know how this choice would change our lives for the better!

My boys and I have been vacationing in the Keys for nine years.  Last winter, on the long car ride home, I began to think about how we could stop driving away and live in our favorite place!  I started looking through the Monroe County School District website for open positions. Ocean Studies Charter School had openings so I decided to take a risk and interview.  I fell in love with the staff, the school, and the students. Who wouldn’t love a school that empowers students to become stewards of our Florida Keys environment through weekly field labs with our very own marine biologist, Martha Loizeaux?!  After the interview, the phone call came asking me to consider returning to interview for the position of principal due to the qualifications on my resume. My time and effort earning my Master’s had paid off! We have become residents and I am able to live and work in a place I love!

A few months into the school year, I learned of the BPW through a parent at the school and she invited me to attend my first luncheon.  The spirit of friendship, support, and fun drew me in and I have enjoyed every event I have attended. I am looking forward to doing more with this amazing group of women!  

No comments:

Post a Comment